It is now U.S. law that all DOD contracts are Agile. Maybe you will go to jail in the future for not being agile if you do work for the government.
The Gartner 2012 advisory on application development to all IT senior management is:
- Business users are losing patience with old-school IT culture. Relationships are tense and resentful. Legacy systems and practices impede agility. Bottom line - GET AGILE
- Adopt a product perspective.
- Say goodbye to waterfall.
- Improve cross-competency collaboration.
- Launch a deep usability discipline.
- Start a technical debt management program.
The latest Gartner advisory shows what is likely to happen:
In two years, Gartner Inc. Research Vice President Brian Prentice predicts, the percentage of technology spending by the business -- outside of the control of IT -- will reach 35 percent.
Consumerization and Cloud
- Consumerization – expectations by users and the business for their systems and applications to look and perform like consumer offerings versus the perceived limited solutions being offered by core IT.
- BYOD - users purchasing their own work tablets, laptops and other devices.
- Cloud Computing – where the business procure their own infrastructure, platforms and software as a service.