Scrum Tuning: Program Management with Scrum
1-2 Nov 2006 Boston
Sign up using buttons on left side of page ...
Take your ScrumMaster certification or knowledge of basic Scrum, Agile and lean practices to the next level!
Get Agile at Patientkeeper, one of the most Agile software companies on the planet. Scrum Tuning: Program Management with Scrum training in Boston will be led by Co-Creator of Scrum, Jeff Sutherland, who has over a decade of experience using Scrum for software development along with experienced Scrum Trainers Hubert Smits and Jean Tabaka from Rally Software Development. This is a unique opportunity.
The Program Management with Scrum course was formulated to help experienced Scrum Masters tune up their Scrum implementation. Participants will present their current implementation as a case analysis. Using extensive experience on scaling Scrum in the enterprise, Trainers and the class will evaluate and suggest improvements in the implementation based on the extensive literature on Lean Product Development and Lean Manufacturing. The book, Agile Project Management with Scrum, by Ken Schwaber is required reading for the course along with the primary Scrum book, Agile Development with Scrum.
Dr. Sutherland started the first Scrum at Easel Corporation in 1993 and has done research and development on Scrum using his last five companies as laboratories. His entire current company at PatientKeeper is run by a MetaScrum, and is one of the most advance implementions of Scrum worldwide. Mary Poppendieck, in her latest book on Lean Software Development, says:
Five years ago a killer application emerged in the health care industry: Give doctors access to patient information on a PDA. Today there is no question which company won the race to dominate this exploding market; PatientKeeper has overwhelmed its competition with its capability to bring new products and features to market just about every week. The sixty or so technical people produce more software than many organizations several times larger, and they don’t show any sign that the size of their code base is slowing them down.
A key strategy that has kept PatientKeeper at the front of the pack is an emphasis on unprecedented speed in delivering new features. It will not surprise anyone who understands Lean that PatientKeeper has to maintain superb quality in order to support its rapid delivery. CTO Jeff Sutherland explains it this way:
“Rapid cycle time:
- Increases learning tremendously
- Eliminates buggy software because you die if you don't fix this.
- Fixes the install process because you die if you have to install 45 releases this year and install is not easy.
- Improves the upgrade process because there is a constant flow of upgrades that are mandatory. Makes upgrades easy.
- Forces quick standardization of software via new features rather than customization and one off.
- Forces implementation of sustainable pace….. You die a death of attrition without it.
- Allows waiting to build new functionality until there are 4-5 customers who pay for it. This is counterintuitive, and caused by the fact … everything is ready within 90 days."
Boston Scrum training is held in the PatientKeeper Board Room on the second floor of 275 Washington Street in Newton, MA. This is directly off the Mass. Pike and across the street from the Sheraton Hotel, only about a 10-15 minute drive from Logan Airport or from Harvard Square.
275 Washington Street - Second Floor
Newton, MA 02458
The Sheraton Hotel across the street from PatientKeeper is the most convenient. However there are many good hotels in the Harvard area. Check www.hotels.com or your favorite travel site for hotels in Cambridge, MA, and pick one that fits your price.
The fee for Scrum Tuning: Program Management with Scrum is $1500. You can register in three ways:
1. Fax a Purchase Order to PatientKeeper at 617-812-8527
2. Request an invoice and send a check to Jeff Sutherland, PatientKeeper, Inc., 20 Guest Street, Suite 500, Brighton, MA 02135
3. Use the Scrum Tuning button on the upper left side of this page. This will connect you with the sign-up site.
Refund policy: 90% of the course fee will be refunded for cancellations more that 7 days in advance of the course. No refunds will be provided for cancellations within a week of the course.